Is somebody out there who likes Monday? I dislike that from the bottom of my heart. The only one thing I love if the Monday is meat-free. As recently I’ve tried to quite the sugar and flour I realized that we eat more meat. So to try new and exciting meatless food is always a challenge. Challenge for me and adventure for my boys, who are picky eaters.
This cake is not my own recipe. This spring I tasted similar baked by a friend of mine, Aliz and I was blown away. The texture and flavor of fresh vegetable was so delicious that I couldn’t wait for bake my own. And the perfect time has arrived just right now. Better late than never 😉
Ingredients for a 22 cm diameter tin (not bottom loose):
1 large cauliflower
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 small courgette
2 tbsp rolled oats
1 tbsp oat flour
small bunch of flat leaf parsley
100 gr Gruyere cheese
2 tbsp mascarpone
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon olive oil
1-2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a roasting tin with a big piece of kitchen foil. Trim the stalks and leaves of cauliflower then put on the kitchen foil. Sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper, wrap around with the foil and bake the whole cauliflower for about 30-40 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the foil then roughly chop with a knife. Put into a bowl, then leave to cool completely. Meanwhile grate the courgette into a bowl. Add oats, oat flour, eggs, finely chopped shallot, parsley, chives, grated cheese, mascarpone and seasoning. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until the oats get tender. When the cauliflower is cool add carefully to the egg-flour mixture.
- Grease the baking tin with oil and sprinkle the bottom and edges evenly with sesame seeds.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack, then serve with fresh salad.