Ramen is a traditional soup cooked with special noodles but the real origin of that is still unclear: many knows that in the 1900s it’s been served in China, specially in Canton and Shanghai, but others say it’s been invented in Japan in early 20th century. Cooking a traditional Beef Ramen Soup usually takes many long hours, made with beef, fish or chicken stock, served with noodles (soba), fresh spring onions, shitake, vegetables and hard boiled egg. The broth is seasoned with miso, soy sauce, ginger and garlic, and some chinese seasoning like garam masala or chinese 5 spice. In the latest years new and new sorts have already been invented, but in most of the cases any updates were intended to make cooking as easy as possible. So nowadays when any kind of stock can be bought in a store it can be ready in under 30 minutes! And that 30 minutes is worth! If you have never had it before give a try and you won’t regret, I bet!
for the soup:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 thumb size ginger
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 teaspoon of chinese 5 spice
1000 ml beef stock
for the garnish:
250 gr ramen noodles
1 slice of sirloin steak
1 baby gem lettuce
2 spring onions
1 pack of baby corn
a good handful of shitake mushroom
lime wedges, chilli flakes for serving
- Take a big pan for the soup. Heat the oil, then add the finely grated garlic and ginger. Sautee for a few minutes until softened, then add the soy sauce, chinese 5 spice and the stock. Simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes, meanwhile fry the steak.
- Take a frying pan and heat on medium. Put the steak on a chopping board then seasoning with salt and pepper both sides. When the frying pan is hot enough add 1 tbsp oil then the steak. Fry for 3-4 minutes on both sides. Set aside and keep warm until served.
- Meanwhile add the ramen noodles to the soup. Cook for a few minutes according to the instruction on the pack. Add the baby corns and mushroom, too and cook until the noodle is ready. Then keep warm the broth until served.
- Boil some water in a pan. Add the eggs and cook for 5 minutes to have hard boiled eggs. Cool completely in cold water then peel and halve them.
- Finely slice the spring onions, carrots, lettuce. Put a ladle of soup in bowl, garnish with the vegetables and eggs.
- Slice the steak finely then put on the top of the noodles. Sprinkle with chilli flakes, arrange nicely lemon wedges then serve warm.