Baked rice pudding, also known Reiseauflauf in Germany- is a standard part of school menu not only in Austria, but also in Hungary. I ate it with chocolate sauce so many times in my childhood, that I was getting bored of that. And since the time that I cook myself for family the memory hasn’t faded away yet I have therefore never baked for us. I just simply forgot that it can be a real treat, specially if you serve rather with something different than custard or chocolate sauce. So it was the time to dig deep into recipes and my recollections and bake my own Reiseauflauf. My boys ate in the same way I ate many years ago, and we had the real luxury to enjoy with forced, Yorkshire rhubarb. I just simply love it. Not only the color, but the taste and texture, too.
250 gr rice (preferably arborio or any pudding rice)
750-800 ml whole milk
7 0 gr soft butter + 1 teaspoon butter
250 ml water
pinch of salt
150 gr cane sugar
1 vanilla pod
1 unvaxed lemon zest
some butter for greasing the tin and breadcrumbs
for the poached rhubarb:
400-500 gr rhubarb
3-4tbsp cane sugar (or to taste)
1 tbsp honey
1 vanilla pod or vanilla paste
- Heat the water in a pan. Bring to boil then add the rice (don’t rinse the rice as its starch will be dissolved and rice remains intact instead sticky ). Stir occasionally until the water is absorbed.
- Add 1 teaspoon butter, salt, lemon zest, 2 tbsp sugar and the milk. Cover with a lid and cook until gets creamy and soft. Stir sometimes not to be burned. When the rice is tender set aside, cover with lid and leave to cool completely. The rest of the liquid will be absorbed meanwhile gets cool.
- Preheat oven to 170 C. Put the soft butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix with the rest of sugar until gets pale and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and mix for a while, then add to the cool rice.
- Meanwhile beat the egg whites until keep form. Carefully fold into the rice mixture. Grease the baking tin with some butter, dust with 1-2 tbsp breadcrumbs. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
- For the poached rhubarb preheat oven to 140-150 C. Wash and trimm rhubarb stalks, then cut into 2-3 cm long sticks. Place in an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with sugar, add honey and the scattered vanilla bean, mix well and bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes. Remove from the oven when the stalks are slightly al dente, and bath in pink juice. Keep at warm place until served.
- the above listed amount of ingredients are enough for a big rectangular at least 25X 30 cm ovenproof dish or two circle shaped oveproof dishes.
- how much milk is adsorbed depends on what kind of rice you use. It can happen that more milk is necessary . If the cool rice is too runny and less milk has been adsorbed you have to add 1-2 tbsp cornflour to be on the safe side and be sure the pudding gets set.
- You can add one handful of raisins, sultanas or any other dried fruits which are previously soaked in rum.