Ingredients for a rectangular bottom loose tart:
for the pastry:
175 gr plain flour
100 gr unsalted butter
50 gr icing sugar
2 tbsp poppy seed
1 egg yolk
1-2 tbsp cold water
1 egg white for brushing
for the filling:
3-4 blood orange juice (depends the size of them)
3 large eggs
100-150 gr icing sugar (or to taste)
100 ml full fat cream
icing sugar for dusting
- To make the pastry, place the flour, poppy seed, butter and icing sugar into a food processor. Pulse briefly until the mixture comes to breadcrumbs, then add the egg yolk and water.
- Mix again then gather it into a ball with your hands. Knead the pastry just two or three times to make it smooth. Wrap into cling film and chill for 15 better for 30 minutes.
- Dust with some flour the work surface and roll out the pastry into thick of a 1 pound coin. Remove the pastry carefully and place into the tin. Press the edges with your fingers then chill in the fridge for an other30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Take the tin out of fridge and cover the pastry with a big piece of greaseproof paper. Place ceramic baking beans on that (or normal beans or lentils) and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the beans and bake for an other 5-8 minutes. Still it’s hot brush the pastry with the slightly beaten egg white. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 150- 160 C.
- Meanwhile mix the filling: pour the juice and sugar into a bowl. Add the eggs, cream and mix well with a wire whisk. Pour the mixture into a jug then into the baked pastry case. Bake for 30-35 minutes until just sets.
- Leave to cool completely or chill in the fridge for an hour. Dust with icing sugar and slice with a sharp knife.