6 egg whites
200 gr granulated sugar
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp corn flour
1 tbsp cider vinegar
pinch of salt
1 vanilla pod or 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
appr. 300 ml double cream
2-4 tbsp icing sugar (or to taste)
1-2 drops vanilla paste
some fresh fruits to decorate, preferably passion fruit, pomegranate, blueberries, etc
or passion fruit, or mango coulis (store bought)
- Preheat oven to 170 C. Crack the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium until you have soft peaks, then add the sugar spoon by spoon. Beat on high until the meringue is shiny and holds sift peaks.
- Sift the cocoa powder and add to the meringue. In an other small bowl mix the cornflour and vinegar. Stir gently into the meringue. Then add the vanilla seeds or vanilla paste, too.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Draw a 20 cm and a 15 cm diameter circle on that. Turn the paper on the reverse then gently pile the meringue inside the circles. With the bacl of a spoon gently make a hole on the top of both meringue pile, where the whipped cream will be placed after baking.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and reduce the heat immediately to 140 C. Bake for about 60-75 minutes. When ready the edges are crispy and firm, and tender inside when you gently press. Leave to cool completely in the oven, leave the door slightly ajar.
- Before assembling whip the cream with sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form. Place the bigger meringue on a serving plate, pile the half of whipped cream on that then decorate with some fresh fruits of your choice. Place the smaller meringue over the whipped cream then pile the rest of whipped cream on that. Arrange the fresh fruits nicely and evenly then serve immediately.